Bake Ahead Egg Muffins
When I make these, it’s usually on a Sunday afternoon. Then I store them in quart size Ziplock bags or Rubbermaid containers in the fridge. Weekday mornings, we just pop a few into the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.
Prep Time: About a half an hour.
Bake Time: 20 to 30 minutes
Ingredients: (makes 24 muffins)
12 eggs (we use Eggland’s Best)
12 servings of egg whites (1 serving = 1/4 cup)
12 ounces of ground Healthy Choice sausage
1 box of chopped frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
12 ounces of shredded cheese (we use 2% sharp cheddar)
1. Start defrosting the frozen spinach (we use the microwave).
2. In a BIG bowl, crack the 12 eggs and whisk (I use a fork).
3. Add the egg whites and whisk even more.
4. Add the Healthy Choice sausage (I cut up the sausage into chunks which will fit in my food processor, chop/grind the sausage (whatever consistency I prefer) and then I stir the sausage into the egg mixture.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. Drain the spinach (I squeeze it between two colanders).
7. Thoroughly stir the spinach into the egg/sausage mixture.
8. Stir in the shredded cheese (I add a little at a time – it gets sticky).
9. Spray two 12 cup muffin tins with vegetable spray, if needed.
10. Pour mixture into muffin cups.
11. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes (they’re done when an inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean)
I add different hot sauces for FirstHusband and FavoriteSon. You can add any spices your family likes, switch out ingredients, make a smaller number of larger muffins, bake in a large pan to cut into serving sizes – this recipe has LOTS of possibilities!
Click here for a print friendly version: Bake Ahead Egg Muffins
(this is our family’s variation of the South Beach Diet egg quiche recipe.
thanks to Christy for reminding me about it!)
(For more recipes and some kitchen tips, check out Kitchen Tip Tuesdays at tammysrecipes.com)