“A person cannot receive
even one thing
it is given him
John 3:27 (ESV)
I have nothing unless it is given to me from Heaven.
First and foremost,
that means grace.
John 6:44 tells me: “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.”
I hate the hard truth of this, but I know that if left completely to myself, I would not choose God. If I drill down to the core of each and every sin, I recognize a desire to act independently of God. That desire to choose for myself what is right or wrong, rather than submitting to God’s authority, is sin.
And sin separates me from God.
It’s by grace that my intimate, living, dependent relationship with God is restored through Christ’s sacrifice. Grace that is given to me from heaven.
Secondly, it means everything else:
Of course there’s all the tangible “stuff” like a home, a car, the food in my pantry and fridge, the computer I’m typing on…
but so. much. more. is “given to me from heaven.”
– My husband. My children.
– My health, my strength, the fact that I don’t live with chronic pain and have never faced a life-threatening illness.
– Success in any endeavor, whether it be work, ministry or anything else.
– Financial security.
– My talents. Not only knowledge, but my ability to read and understand and learn.
– My imagination. Any idea I ever come up with.
– My awareness of God’s presence and movement in my life.
– The courage and motivation I find to be obedient when the Holy Spirit prompts me to act or speak.
– The indwelling of the Holy Spirit which equips me beyond my own abilities. Romans 8:9-11
– The confident that is grounded in fact that He is “with me wherever I go.” Joshua 1:9
– The peace that comes from a relentless awareness of his sovereign providence. Job 42:2
– And then there are the harder things that His Word promises He will work for “good” and are meant to “conform me” to the image of Christ.
The trials I don’t understand.
The seasons when He is silent.
The fact that I struggle to submit to His authority. Daily. Sometimes hourly.
I have NOTHING unless it is given me from heaven.
The breath I just took.
I can’t take credit for any of it and I’m not in control of any of it.
Dependent upon the Holy Spirit to remind me, I need to be diligent about remembering all this and being grateful. When I’m mindful and grateful, I’m a better steward of all God blesses me with, and that includes the blessings in disguise.
One thought on “#memoryverse: John 3:27 ~ I have nothing unless it is given from Heaven”
I love this scripture. You are so right! Everything we have and are is a gift from GOD! Thanks for sharing this truth.