Pragmatic Compendium

inspiring the pragmatic practice of intimacy with Christ

egg cube.

I mentioned before that my kids love boiled eggs, but I forgot to mention this little gadget.

dsc_0022

It’s a tiny little vice-like plastic egg cuber. Seriously. It turns boiled eggs into squares. You boil the egg, peel it while it is still warm, pop it in the square shaped compartment and screw down the lid. Refrigerate for a few minutes and you get this: (okay. I accidentally froze mine. That’s why the sides are so wrinkly.)

cubed-egg

Then, you send it to school in a kid’s lunch box or slice it in half and serve on a plate of deviled eggs and when asked about it, you make comments like, “ouch. that had to hurt.” or “I don’t know. It just came that way.” Any other suggested responses would be MUCH appreciated.

If you pop the gadget into the freezer to chill it, you can speed up the process and cube more than one before the eggs cool off too much. The cube isn’t quite as square after the egg is cool. I need to find another one. Where did I get this one? Whale of a Sale. 25 cents.

And of course, someone put a video on youtube.

I may not be able to make square watermelons, but I can make these.

Find great recipes and helpful kitchen tips at Kitchen Tip Tuesdays hosted by Tammy’s Recipes!

And click on over to check out the recipes at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday hosted by Lisa at Blessed With Grace

Need more? Head over to Tasty Tuesday hosted by Kim at Forever . . . Wherever!

Find more ideas over at Works for Me Wednesday, hosted by Kristen at We Are THAT Family.

Works for Me Wednesday posts prior to February 2009 are archived at Rocks In My Dryer

About these ads

March 17, 2009 - Posted by | recipes, youtube | , , , , , ,

11 Comments »

1. That is so cool! I found one on eBay. It’s not exactly 25 cents… but it’s there!

Comment by Amy | March 17, 2009 | Reply

2. Ok, nix that! Apparently you can get them for $2.99 at thekitchenstore.com. :-)

Amy – Cool! Now, anyone who wants to mystify small children can do so for less than 5 bucks! (by JSM)

Comment by Amy | March 17, 2009 | Reply

3. Thanks for bringing your cool food post to Tasty Tuesday this week! I love it!
    ~Kim

Comment by Kim @ Forever Wherever | March 17, 2009 | Reply

4. I didn’t realize that your “no round containers” also applied to eggs hahahahaha I’m really laughing. how funny.

I love a cool gadget.

Kristin – I am a freak about square containers. A quick search of my blog for the word “container” confirms it. They are just so space efficient. And these eggs are stackable! (by JSM)

Comment by Kristin | March 18, 2009 | Reply

5. What a fun and easy way to add excite to boiled eggs. Plus I see it would be easier to slice them if they are sqaure. Thanks for sharing.

Comment by susan2009 | March 18, 2009 | Reply

6. Our kids would love this!

Comment by JanMary, N Ireland | March 18, 2009 | Reply

7. I love it…..and can’t wait to grab one. We have our own chickens so how funny is it going to be when I serve these square boiled eggs up…I def. will need the video camera going!

xox

Comment by Michelle | March 18, 2009 | Reply

8. Hah this is awesome! I’m going to keep my eyes open and see if I can find one!

Comment by mub | March 18, 2009 | Reply

9. Oh, hubby bought one of these years ago, but I haven’t used it in ages. I need to dig it out, as I’m taking boiled eggs in my lunches!

Comment by Stephanie | March 18, 2009 | Reply

10. I badly need one of these for my kid starting school this year. Bring on the packed lunches.

Comment by Leanne@SeetheWoods | March 18, 2009 | Reply

11. That thing is awesome!

Comment by Muthering Heights | March 18, 2009 | Reply