Pragmatic Compendium

inspiring the pragmatic practice of intimacy with Christ

banana slicer for kids. and grown-ups.

PinkGirl: “Mom. I’m hungry. Can I have a snack?”

Me: “What fruit have you had today?”

My kids are getting tired of this question. I always ask this question when they say they’re hungry.

Yesterday, after I asked, I listed all the fresh fruit currently in the house and when I got to banana, PinkGirl asked if she could have a little chocolate syrup to dip it in. Sure. A couple of spoonfuls of chocolate to help the fruit go down without any grief? Sure.

AND PinkGirl fixed her own snack all by herself. A few years ago I bought this little gadget.

banana slicer before

banana slicer after

Perfectly uniform size slices without a knife, in just a few seconds! And it’s dishwasher safe. I keep it stored down low enough for her to get it anytime she wants.

(There are other designs for banana slicers, but I like this one because the wires go all the way through the banana into the grooves underneath, and I can use it for other things like mushrooms, boiled eggs and strawberries.Friendly advice – don’t use this for slicing strawberries.)

UPDATE 1/22/09: These have been discontinued, but I’ve had some luck finding them. Check out my follow-up post “Get Your Banana Slicer HERE

Find great recipes and helpful kitchen tips at Kitchen Tip Tuesdays hosted by Tammy’s Recipes! Check out MY past Kitchen Tip Tuesday posts HERE

About these ads

July 21, 2009 - Posted by | Uncategorized | , ,

11 Comments »

1. I have an egg slicer, but this is too cool! I’ve never seen one…but I’m sure I will soon enough! Thanks!

Comment by Kristin | July 21, 2009 | Reply

2. Well, now this is cool! Even cooler than the square egg maker hubby bought years ago.

Stephanie – Ya KNOW I got one of those too! That one is a LOT of fun with kids. (by JSM)

Comment by Stephanie | July 21, 2009 | Reply

3. Cool gadget! Never seen one of those before. Looks like it would be useful for making cute little pats of butter too.

Kolfinnas Korner – oooo! What a GREAT idea! It can handle soft cheeses too, but a block of sharp cheddar might just do it in. (by JSM)

Comment by Kolfinnas Korner | July 21, 2009 | Reply

4. that is ingenious!! I have never seen one of those. I’ve seen an egg slicer, spam slicer, but never a banana slicer!! Pretty cool!

Comment by kalei | July 22, 2009 | Reply

5. It’s a butter slicer! My mom used one when I was growing up – except it didn’t have the bottom tray. What a great idea to use it for bananas! It would save some time when making banana cream pie! Yum.

Janelle – You and Kolfinnas Korner think alike! This actually came in a package labeled “Banana Slicer” and it’s made by Farberware.

I know the gadget you’re referring to – very similar!

We made peanut butter and banana sandwiches today! (by JSM)

Comment by Janelle | July 22, 2009 | Reply

6. I’ve always just used my pastry blender – it eliminates the need to store an extra gadget.

MaggyyMayy – I admit. I didn’t know what a pastry blender was. (obviously I don’t have one either) But it looks like it would do the trick too! (by JSM)

Comment by maggyymayy | August 10, 2009 | Reply

7. Can you please tell me where you purchased this slicer. I know it is by Farberware, but I can’t find it anywhere online.
    Thanks so much!

Comment by Judith | November 28, 2009 | Reply

8. I would also like to know where you purchased the banana slicer. I like the pastry blender idea.

Comment by Ellen | December 13, 2009 | Reply

9. [...] since I posted about and shared photos of my banana slicer, I’ve gotten comments and emails asking where they can be purchased. Long story short? [...]

Pingback by get you banana slicer HERE! « Pragmatic Compendium | January 22, 2010 | Reply

10. How much do they cost?
    Marcia

Comment by Marcia | January 16, 2012 | Reply

• Marcia – I got mine for about $7 at a kitchen outlet. (by JSM)

Comment by Julie Stiles Mills | January 18, 2012 | Reply