Pragmatic Compendium

inspiring the pragmatic practice of intimacy with Christ

Easter Bunny Cake

CLICK HERE FOR THE UPDATED VERSION OF THIS POST!

Growing up, my mom often made an Easter Bunny cake like this one for Easter. (page down for more photos)

easter_bunny_cake3

Easy, not too crafty (thank goodness), I think I’m making one this year. Judging from the number of available photos on Google Images, I’m not the only one. Check it out:

Bake a cake, any cake, in two round cake pans. Mine will be chocolate. There is no reason for me to eat cake unless it is chocolate. Let it cool and then cut it like this:

easter-bunny-cake-pattern

On the serving plate (my mom always used a piece of cardboard covered in aluminum foil), CAREFULLY arrange it like this:

easter-bunny-cake-cut-out

Then, frost and decorate! My mom always frosted it white and covered it with coconut shavings as a base. Dark chocolate cake with coconut – mmmm – just like a Mounds bar. But CAKE!

That does it. We’re making this cake.

Here’s a video and some more samples:

A Zooma Zooma Zooma Zoom!

easter_bunny_cake1

easter_bunny_cake2

easter_bunny_cake4

easter_bunny_cake5

easter_bunny_cake6

Find great recipes and helpful kitchen tips at Kitchen Tip Tuesdays hosted by Tammy’s Recipes!

And click on over to check out the recipes at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday hosted by Lisa at Blessed With Grace

Need more? Head over to Tasty Tuesday hosted by Kim at Forever . . . Wherever!

Find more ideas over at Works for Me Wednesday, hosted by Kristen at We Are THAT Family.

Works for Me Wednesday posts prior to February 2009 are archived at Rocks In My Dryer

And I’m jumping ahead to Friday with my Would You Like Chocolate With That? hosted by Lisa at Stop and Smell the Chocolate

If you’ve got a few minutes, check out my previous chocolate posts.

About these ads

April 8, 2009 - Posted by | chocolate, holidays, recipes, traditions | , , , , , , , , ,

18 Comments »

1. Love your bunny cake :)

Comment by JanMary, N Ireland | April 8, 2009 | Reply

2. Oh I love it! I used to make this cake when I was a teenager. Then one day after my husband and I were married I found an old picture of him as a child standing next to the same exact cake. Apparently his sister used to make one every Easter as well! Thanks for posting this and reminding me about it. I think I will make one this year!

Comment by Annie | April 8, 2009 | Reply

3. That looks like a fun one to make with kids!!

Comment by Muthering Heights | April 8, 2009 | Reply

4. Oh cuteness! I used to use a shaped pan but this looks super simple!

Comment by Niki | April 8, 2009 | Reply

5. Looks so adorable!

Thanks for adding me to your prayer list about my volunteer work with CASA. I do need to be filled with His wisdom and strength!

Chaos – I’m not just blowing rainbows. You are in my prayer journal. For the first time yesterday, but you will be again in the coming days as well. Those kids need you and if I can’t serve in that ministry right now, the least I can do is pray for it. (by JSM)

Comment by It Feels Like Chaos | April 9, 2009 | Reply

6. So your mom did have one redeeming quality.

Cute cake!

Stephanie – I’ve been thinking about that since I began drafting this post. I’ve been thinking I need to start listing anything positive I can remember. The positive memories come few and far between, but the ARE there. She didn’t make this cake for Easter Sunday company, she made it for us. Just us. (by JSM)

Comment by Stephanie | April 9, 2009 | Reply

7. Okay, that really brings back the memories. My mom was a bunny cake maker too. I remember picking off the jelly beans–didn’t like those so much. But that coconut grass–yum!

Comment by Elle | April 9, 2009 | Reply

8. Oh, that’s so great that she made the cake for you. My mother didn’t make desserts for us, but that’s OK, we got other things. We usually got a small choc. bunny and a few other fancy chocolates. If I had children, I think I would make this cake :)

Comment by Kristin | April 12, 2009 | Reply

9. […] popular version of this easy Easter bunny cake uses just the head of the bunny with a big bow tie. Very […]

Pingback by Easy Easter Bunny Cake Tutorial | Balancing Motherhood | March 28, 2010 | Reply

10. Thanks for the tips.

Comment by Elaine | April 3, 2010 | Reply

11. I always wanted to make one bunny cake for easter. I am trying and it look like it will be a perfect one today. Thank you for showing me how to make one

Comment by Lali | April 4, 2010 | Reply

12. I am going to make it for Easter. Thanks for the idea!

Comment by Micca Rankin Maggi | April 21, 2011 | Reply

13. […] a month ago. I made probably the cutest bunny cupcakes ever. They are right up there with the bunny cake my mom used to make us to make […]

Pingback by Bunnies, Flowers, and RAIN. « astripejunkie | April 24, 2011 | Reply

14. I love your bunny cake! I got really excited when I found it on Google. Thanks for stopping by and reading my post too. If anyone wants to see my Mom’s version of this cake, please drop by http://www.talesfromahungrylife.wordpress.com Thanks!–Maria

Comment by talesfromahungrylife | April 25, 2011 | Reply

15. I am in fact delighted to read this weblog posts which
    consists of lots of helpful information, thanks for providing
    these kinds of information.

Comment by Noah | March 29, 2014 | Reply

16. […] visit Pragmatic HERE for the […]

Pingback by Easter Fun for the Kids! - Daily Dish Magazine | April 17, 2014 | Reply